- Last Updated: 24 May 2008
In order to provide you with the full range of BBWC services, we are sometimes required to collect information about you.
- what information the BBWC may collect about you;
- how the BBWC will use information we collect about you;
- when the BBWC may use your details to contact you;
- whether the BBWC will disclose your details to anyone else;
- your choices regarding the personal information you have provided to us;
The websites contains hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. These third party websites have their own privacy policies, including cookies, and we urge you to review them. They will govern the use of personal information you submit or are collected by cookies whilst visiting these websites. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third party websites and your use of such websites is at your own risk.
When you sign up to participate in or receive a service from any BBWC.co.uk website, such as newsletters, competitions, live chats, message boards or register with the single universal online registration system used across different parts of the BBWC.co.uk called "Single Sign-On", we may ask for personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, e mail address, postal address, telephone or mobile number or date of birth. Different webpages may ask for different personal information.
By entering your details in the fields requested, you enable the BBWC and its service providers to provide you with the services you select.
Please note that sometimes on particular webpages we will require you to provide additional personal information, and sometimes sensitive personal information (e.g. if you're sending in an application to be a contributor on a political party we may need to know your political leanings). When we do this we will specify further on these webpages why we are collecting your information and how we will use it.
3. How will the BBWC use the information they collect about me?
The BBWC will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- for "service administration purposes", which means that the BBWC may contact you for reasons related to the service you have signed up for, as set out in in paragraph 4 below (e.g. to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance);
- to contact you about a submission you have made to the websites, including any content you provide;
- to personalise the way BBWC content is presented to you;
- IP addresses are used to identify the location of users, the number of visits from different countries and also to block disruptive use; and
- to analyse and improve the services offered onbishop-burton.co.uk. e.g. to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience.
Where the BBWC proposes using your personal information for any other uses we will ensure that we notify you first. You will also be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw your consent for your use other than as listed above.
The BBWC may contact you:
- in relation to the functioning of any service you have signed up for in order to ensure that the BBWC can deliver the services to you;
- where you have opted to receive further correspondence;
- in relation to any contribution you have made to bishop-burton.co.uk, e.g. on the BBWC message boards;
- to invite you to participate in surveys about the BBWC services (participation is always voluntary);
Local pages will give you detailed information about how the BBWC will contact you in relation to specific services.
The BBWC won't contact you for marketing purposes, or promote new services to you unless you specifically agree to be contacted for these purposes.
We will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies) or as described in paragraph 7 below. Generally, we will only use your information within the BBWC. However, the BBWC may use third parties to process your information. The BBWC will require these third parties to comply strictly with its instructions and the BBWC will require that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes.
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content anywhere on or to bishop-burton.co.uk, or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on bishop-burton.co.uk, the BBWC may use your personal information to stop such behaviour.
Where the BBWC reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of any of the laws of England or Wales (e.g. because content you have posted may be defamatory), the BBWC may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school e-mail/Internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour.
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent/guardian's permission beforehand whenever you provide personal information to the BBWC's website. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant service, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with the BBWC. In the case that you wish to cancel your registration as a BBWC.co.uk member, once an account is deleted a red flag goes on the database and, while people cannot use the personal information, it stays on the system for a period of one year for administration purposes before being deleted automatically.
Where you contribute to bishop-burton.co.uk the BBWC will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted. However other projects are likely to have a longer, or even permanent, duration.
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of the personal information the BBWC holds about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. (We charge £10 for information requests and will require you to prove your identity with 2 pieces of approved photographic identification.) We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
Bishop Burton Web Committee