The Altisidora Inn has been part of the life of Bishop Burton for several centuries catering for the needs of locals and visitors alike. The pub now has its own web site where you will also find special offers and access to vouchers.

The pub is now named after Altisidora the winner of the St. Leger horse race at Doncaster in 1813. The St. leger is one of the classics of the British horse-racing calendar. Altisidora was owned by Richard Watt who was then lord of the manor of Bishop Burton. He lived at High Hall which was located on the site of what is now the Bishop Burton College of Agriculture. High Hall was demolished in 1951. Altisidora was a filly and she died in 1825 when she fell into a ditch in the village while in foal to Blacklock, one of Richard Watt's colts who came 2nd in the St. Leger in 1817.

Before 1813, the pub was called the Evander after another Watt horse but it was originally called the Horse and Jockey. It is reputed to have been built in the 15th or 16th century.

The Altisidora was for most of its existence part of the Bishop Burton estate. For more of the history of the Inn take a look at Patrick Chaplin's account of the pub.