George Oliver produced an enormous history of Beverley and its immediate villages in 1829. It is a famous book and its title is The History and Antiquities of the Town and Minster of Beverley and it has now been digitally scanned by Google Books and the full book is available on the internet at this web page http://books.google.com/books?id=59E_AAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Oliver's book contains a secton on Bishop Burton or South Burton as it was also then known. It also includes some drawings of the village. Unfortunately the scanning of the book has gone a little awry and the pages relating to Bishop Burton are not in the correct order. I have created a document which includes just those pages and in the right order. It is attached at the bottom of this article.

George Oliver is famous both as a historian and a freemason and the Masonic Dictionary includes this information about him:

"He was the eldest son of the Rev. Samuel Oliver, rector of Lambley, Nottinghamshire, and Elizabeth, daughter of George Whitehead. He was born at Pepplewick, November 5, 1782, and received a liberal education at Nottingham. In 1803, when but twenty-one years of age, he was elected second master of the Grammar School at Caiston, Lincoln. In 1809 he was appointed to the head mastership of King Edward's Grammar School at Great Grimsby. In 1813 he entered Holy Orders in the Church of England, and was ordained a Deacon. The subsequent year he was made a Priest. In the spring of 1815, Bishop Tomline collated him to the living of Clee, his name being at the time placed on the boards of Trinity College, Cambridge, as a ten-year man by Doctor Bayley, Sub-dean of Lincoln and examining Chaplain to the Bishop. In the same year he was admitted as Surrogate and a Steward of the Clerical Fund. In 1831, Bishop Kaye gave him the living of Scopwick, which he held to the time of his death.

He graduated as Doctor of Divinity in 1836, being then Rector of Wolverhampton, and a Prebendary of the Collegiate Church at that place, both of which positions had been presented to him by Doctor Hobart, Dean of Westminster. In 1846 the Lord Chancellor conferred on him the rectory of South Hykeham, which vacated the incumbency of Wolverhampton. At the age of seventy-two Doctor Oliver's physical powers began to fail, and he was obliged to confine the charge of his parishes to the care of curates, and he passed the remaining years of his life in retirement at Lincoln. In 1805 he had married Mary Ann, the youngest daughter of Thomas Beverley, by whom he left five children. He died March 3, 1867, at Eastgate, Lincoln."

The full entry may be found at http://www.masonicdictionary.com/oliver.html

 

You have no rights to post comments